Thursday, November 5, 2009

Can't I just get one thing done?!

Before I was a stay-at-home mom, I always wondered what moms did all day. They must just have all the time in the world to get things done. Now that I am a mom, I know otherwise.

Yesterday, I had so much to do. But at the top of my "If I can only do ONE thing today" list was washing the kitchen floor. It was long overdue, and mud had recently been discovered outside, which made matters much worse.

Stryder was napping and Abby was coloring, so I thought I had found my chance. I quickly pulled out a washrag and bucket and filled it with Advantage Wonder Cleaner (I love that stuff) and warm water. I swept, cleared off the floor, and got started. As soon as my bucket hit the floor, it was like ringing the dinner bell. Stryder woke up and Abby wanted to help. I grabbed him, and a rag for her, and started again.

Abby was so excited to help, and mostly did a great job if I wrung the rag out for her on demand every 30 seconds. Sometimes she just skipped the step and soaked the floor. Then Stryder, as if on cue, would come wandering in and slip in the puddles about every minute and a half. Abby would also take the occasional slip, no matter how many times I shooed them out or told them to be careful.

After consoling Stryder for the 5th time, I sent him outside to play. Returning to my chore and wiping up more puddles, I noticed Stryder with a bucket in his hand. He came running over to where Abby and I were and eagerly dumped a big pile of dirt chunks at our feet.

This saga continued for the whole 2.5 hours it took me to completely clean the floor. And you guessed it- as soon as I got it clean it was dirty again.

No one can tell me that being a stay-at-mom isn't the hardest job I will ever do. It's also the only one I would ever want.

No comments: